Global RCE Network (Jan 19, 2017) - Prestigious International Designation Recognizes Region as Leader in Sustainability Education Peterborough
On (January 11th, 2017) Peterborough-Kawarthas-Haliburton has been designated as a Regional Centre of Expertise (RCE) on Education for Sustainable Development by the United Nations University. The RCE initiative recognizes regions from around the world that demonstrate leadership in addressing complex sustainability challenges, and works to network these communities internationally to support even greater innovation and collaboration.
Our region was selected through a juried review process by the Ubuntu Committee of Peers, and was among only a few to receive the prestigious designation. This is a true testament to the leadership and commitment to sustainability demonstrated across this region. In addition to Toronto and Sudbury, Peterborough-Kawarthas-Haliburton is only the third RCE to be designated in the province, and the eighth in Canada. There are 149 RCEs globally.
A diverse partnership that included academic institutions, governments and government agencies, private sector partnerships, and NGOs came together to support the development of our region’s RCE application. (Please see the list of partners and quotes from community leaders, attached.) The success of this application speaks to our long history of transformative and collaborative education to achieve local and global sustainability goals. Our application identified five long-term objectives that will guide the work of the local RCE network moving forward. These include:
- To recognize the vital importance of Indigenous Knowledge systems as they engage across all curricula
- To implement age-appropriate sustainability and stewardship education frameworks from pre-school to secondary school, in both formal and informal settings
- To build strong bridges between school curriculum and the spectrum of programs offered at Trent University and Fleming College
- To link post-secondary programs and community-based training programs to green jobs, research, and innovation in the region, and
- To develop reciprocal exchanges of sustainability knowledge and practice between residents within the region and with communities across the globe
While the work of this newly established RCE network lies before us, this designation will serve as a meaningful platform and catalyst for deeper partnerships and sustained collaborative action. A formal program launch and celebration is being planned for May 2017, with more details to be shared in the coming months.